The Contextual Safeguarding Advisory Panel forms one of the four main governance structures supporting the Contextual Safeguarding Scale up Project. Formed in 2018, the Contextual Safeguarding Advisory Panel is a group of government departments, regulators and practice associations from England, Wales and Scotland who meet twice a year to discuss the implications of a CS approach for policy, commissioning and legislative frameworks. Chaired independently, the group meet to hear about thematic issues emerging from test sites, and to ensure work in test sites is informed by relevant policy changes.
The participating departments/organisations include Home Office, Department of Education, Research in Practice, The Association of Directors of Children’s Services, The City of Edinburgh Council, Stop It Now Scotland, Welsh National Independent Safeguarding Board, Welsh Government, NHS Wales, Welsh Ambulance Service NHS Trust, College of Policing, Children and Family Court Advisory and Support Service, NHS England, Public Health England, London Ambulance Service, Care Quality Commission, Local Government Association, Youth Justice Board, Central Ambulance Service, Security Industry Authority, HMI Probation, Ofsted, Association of School and College Leaders, Police Conduct Authority, Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire & Rescue Services, UK Youth, The Association of Police and Crime Commissioners.
The Contextual Safeguarding Advisory Panel asks:
- How can they promote the development of policy, practice and legislation in England and Wales within their specific sectors related to the safeguarding of children?
- Whether national or sector-specific policies or regulations in England and Wales require reform to adopt/reflect the learning from the CSSU project?
- How can they support the development of Contextual Safeguarding practice approaches through sharing of sector-specific expertise and examples of contextual interventions?
- How can Contextual Safeguarding theory and practice be used and developed in specific sectors?
The Contextual Safeguarding Advisory Panel participate in the following activities:
- Provide sector specific updates at each meeting which impact the Contextual Safeguarding Programme.
- Answer sector specific questions and provide strategic advice to questions and challenges arising from the VCS Collective and Local Authority Implementation Group.
- Provide updates on inspection frameworks within the four nations.
- Provide impetus and strategic leadership to all member organisations in regards to their responsibilities associated with safeguarding adolescents.
- Review and provide feedback on CSSU project outputs, and their applicability beyond participating sites prior to publication.
- Disseminate learning arising from the CSSU project through member organisations and identify opportunities for embedding and sustaining such learning within their respective sectors.
Project lead: Carlene Firmin
Chair: Dez Holmes (Research in Practice)
Funder: National Lottery Community Fund
Contact: [email protected]